Snuff box instructions translated.
Recently we’ve taken delivery of some rather nice handmade wooden snuff boxes. The snuff boxes came with instructions and diagrams in German, which we’ve copied below for our customers and had a friend translate into English.
If there are any mistakes in the snuff box instruction translation, we apologise in advance.
Please scroll to the image at the bottom to see the snuff box operating diagrams. Click wooden snuff box to see further images.
Congratulations on the purchase of this unusual snuffbox.
Finally a wooden box which is operable with one hand and allows for today’s habit of tapping snuff onto the back of the hand.
In addition it is attractive, handy and portable. Something for genuine fans of snuff.
As the box is a new development I’d be grateful for feedback. Should problems arise I’ll of course help.
Other boxes available on request.
1. With the thumb press the peg into the opening of the casing to make an outlet for the snuff.
2. Tap the required amount of snuff onto the back of the hand.
3. With the forefinger push the peg back until it closes flush.
4. To refill push the peg in the outlet and pull it out of the opposite side. Now remove the lid.
5. Hold the box in the left hand between thumb and forefinger which creates a funnel in the casing. Refill with snuff.
6. Give the casing a sharp tap and close the lid. Close the box with the peg.
7. Be careful that no snuff is in the hole and between the lid and the casing. The lid always sits so that it goes with the wood grain. The peg is inserted with gentle turns. Never use force.
8. If it doesn’t click the first time, give it a pinch. Although it should still work.
9. Cleaning instruction: Use linseed oil. Polish the box with beeswax as necessary.
10. Should the peg be too stiff or become completely jammed. First try and twist it. If the need arises, sand it down. It is easily replaced. Should the peg be too loose, rotate it around the longitudinal axis, in most cases you’ll find a spot where it will sit firmer.
Assembly of a snuffbox to use and refill
Component parts (Bauteile):
A - Stift = peg
B - Deckel = lid. Bohrung = hole. Einbuchtung = opening (Halbkreis = semicircle). Füllraum = storage space
C - Gehäuse = casing. Wand = wall.
How it works (Funktionsweise):
Verschlossen = closed.
Tabakentnahme = taking snuff.
Nachfüllen = refilling.
Öffnung für den Tabak = opening for snuff.
Snuff Box Instructions